LearnCore recently announced a new partnership with John Barrows to deliver his sales training content directly in our platform. Barrows’ content will help clients address sales enablement training and onboarding programs immediately. For sales trainers who are reviewing or planning their content strategy, this partnership provides an effective option. Read on to learn about the types of sales training content available to your organization.
Great sales training content is the cornerstone of any effective program. With multiple strategies to choose from it’s essential to review each option and determine which will provide the best results for your organization.
To help you determine the best approach to train your sales team, we’re reviewing the different types of sales training content, including their pros, cons, and which organizations tend to choose each type.
Before thinking about the types of content, consider the following questions to further understand your sales training content landscape:
- What is your project timeline?
- Does your organization have the necessary talent in-house to produce and update sales training content on a regular basis?
- What is the budget for creating or obtaining sales training content?
- How big is your training audience and what is their accessibility level?
- What technology resources does your organization currently have?
Which Type of Sales Training Content is Right for Your Organization?
Proprietary Sales Training Content
Proprietary sales training content means your organization is creating its own custom content in-house that’s tailored to your sales team. Modern sales enablement tools have made it easier and faster for all team members to create custom training content and who knows your organization better than your team.
- Give your subject matter experts the ability to create and share knowledge freely
- Customized curriculum tailored to your organizational needs
- Maintain ownership over all content
- Ability to control changes & messaging
- Differentiator between competitors
- If you don’t already have content creation tools in place, there could be long lead time
- Must rely on internal resources to plan, create and update
Who Is It For?
Relying on proprietary content is typically a strategy chosen by large and medium-sized companies that have the resources internally to manage and maintain all training content. Companies who leverage sales enablement tools to create custom content find value in the convenience and speed of knowledge sharing, and use the tools to roll out content in an efficient manner. If achievable, this strategy is a smart way to set your sales organization apart, and offer a training program that differentiates you from competitors.
Free Sales Training Content
- No development cost
- No content creation resources needed
- Easily found online
- Quick to share with sales teams
- Overly generalized content
- Limited ability to update and customize content
- Difficult to integrate into existing delivery model
- No competitive advantage
Who Is It For?
Companies focused on money saving or bootstrapping initiatives may choose to use free content readily available online until they have additional access to capital. While it’s not the most effective sales training content option by far, many organizations can leverage it to scale and grow sales until another type of training can be utilized.
Purchased Sales Training Content
Purchased sales training content means your organization is outsourcing their content creation initiatives. Companies that choose to purchase sales training content are paying for expertly crafted work that is proven to help training results. Costs will vary and depend on the content source.
- Expertly crafted content from experienced sales trainers/professionals
- Content provider can become a resource for additional help
- Varying customization options
- Quick adoption and roll out timelines
- Not completely customizable
- Time required to research and qualify content provider
- Potential difficulties integrating with existing sales training delivery methods
Who Is It For?
Purchasing customizable sales training content is ideal for an organization that needs to grow their competitive edge in the industry, but does not have the resources to create their own and needs better quality. Organizations of all industry types and sizes can benefit from this type of sales training content because it provides expert knowledge in pre-existing packages. The ability to access a semi-customizable solution at a cost-effective price is allowing new organizations to scale quickly, and compete with the toughest players in their industry.
The first step in determining which sales training content strategy is right for you is understanding your organization. Resources, time, and funding will greatly affect which route you take, and how well you are able to execute the strategy. Take time to research your options and ensure you’ll see a strong ROI on your final selection.